Diarrhea is a condition when a person passes watery stools much more frequently than usual, which causes a significant emission of fluids and salts, leaving the body dehydrated. The condition is generally caused by food poisoning, overeating, allergies or taking laxative drugs. Diarrhea treatment is aimed at the restoration of the body’s fluid balance. Before you start taking medication, you may consider trying out some long-known natural remedies to get rid of the irritating disease which have no side effects.
Diarrhea Home Remedies
Below are the most efficient diarrhea home remedies:
- The easiest way is to take a cup of warm water, mix in a teaspoon of salt and one of sugar, stir up well and drink in slow sips. Do it as frequently as you can.
- Tea has always been regarded as an excellent cure for diarrhea. It should be strong, black and sugarless.
- Apples are known to make the stool contain more fiber due to pectin; besides, it is good for the guts. Cook an apple and eat it every day. Or, peel an apple, cut into slices and let them come to until they turn brownish, then they are ready to eat.
- Diarrhea depletes the level of potassium in the body. It can be quickly restored by eating bananas.
- If your condition was brought around by antibiotics or you are taking them currently, include live yoghurt in your diet. It is rich in lactobacillus, a probiotic bacteria that restores the good bacteria in the guts.
- Buttermilk produces very good results in curing diarrhea due to its acids that kill diarrhea germs. 3-4 portions of buttermilk with salt per day should put you right quickly and effectively.
- Fenugreek seeds are also a good cure. Take a teaspoonful of them, put in a cup of water, curd, or buttermilk and get it down at once, without chewing.
- A concoction of mint, honey, and lime juice (a teaspoon each) taken three times a day will help.
- Grind some nutmegs and take by teaspoons.
- Garlic, being an antibiotic, also brings down diarrhea.
- A tablespoon of lime juice diluted in a cup of hot water, can cure diarrhea in a matter of hours, if taken every 15-20 minutes.
- Diarrhea is bound to cause severe and unrelenting thirst. To fight that, drink a glass of bottle gourd juice every day. Mix in a pinch of salt.
- Another good drink to offset dehydration is water and orange juice, also salted a little.
- When the sufferer gets weak after losing a lot of body fluids, pomegranate juice is an excellent restorative.
- Also drink as much coconut water as you can to restore the juice balance.
How to Recover from Diarrhea?
Since diarrhea is linked with food habits, consider what you are eating. Your meals should be as light as possible. Exclude chocolate, milk and milk-based products, anything spicy. As you have already gathered, take various fruit juices, go for vegetable soups and rice porridge. This way you will be restoring your nutrients supply. Moreover, your meals must be freshly cooked, eateries, cafes and food stalls are out of bounds.
Make sure you take the right hygienic precautions like giving your hands a good wash before sitting down at the table; towel your hands dry.
If you failed to cure diarrhea in 2-3 days, call in a doctor.